Tredozio

“Three young girls with blonde hair / Inhabited this unmade castle one day; / And they were the first to give a beginning and a name / to this small, lonely village, / That, descending along a narrow street, / Is found down in the little valley… And the village was named Tredozio / After the Three-Dowries which founded it”
This is how the poetess Maria Virginia Fabroni described one of the theories on the birth of the small village in verse in 1800.
Tredozio is nestled in the upper Tramazzo valley, nestled in the embrace of the Tuscan-Romagna Apennines and it is here, on the slopes of the Apennines, that the volcano of Monte Busca, also known as the smallest volcano in the world, flares up. This burning fountain, whose flames gush out from the centre of the Earth, inspired the exile Dante Alighieri, who drew inspiration from it for some passages in the Inferno.
Tredozio has several places of interest to offer both inside and beyond the town centre. In fact, part of the municipal territory lies within the National Park of Foreste Casentinesi, Monte Falterona and Campigna. Lake Ponte and the numerous adjacent paths make up one of the most beautiful natural areas of the Park.
Another characteristic of Tredozio is the excellence of its footwear:
FACIT Founded in 1995, is a company extremely attentive to the quality of its end product. Facit shoes are on the feet of the most beautiful women in the world: Princess Kate Middleton, Sandra Bullock, Charlize Theron, etc.
FLLI FABBRI Handcrafted production of made-to-measure riding boots. The brand is known all over the world. F.lli Fabbri shoes are worn by several Olympic champions.
From a gastronomic point of view, Tredozio has its own speciality: THE BARTOLACCIO: a traditional food product, made with ingredients from “cucina povera” (“simple cooking”) and awarded the ‘Meraviglia Italiana’ (Italian Marvel) label. The Bartolaccio is the subject of a festival held on the first two Sundays in November each year.

Another characteristic of Tredozio is the excellence of its footwear:
FACIT Founded in 1995, is a company extremely attentive to the quality of its end product. Facit shoes are on the feet of the most beautiful women in the world: Princess Kate Middleton, Sandra Bullock, Charlize Theron, etc.
FLLI FABBRI Handcrafted production of made-to-measure riding boots. The brand is known all over the world. F.lli Fabbri shoes are worn by several Olympic champions.
From a gastronomic point of view, Tredozio has its own speciality: THE BARTOLACCIO: a traditional food product, made with ingredients from “cucina povera” (“simple cooking”) and awarded the ‘Meraviglia Italiana’ (Italian Marvel) label. The Bartolaccio is the subject of a festival held on the first two Sundays in November each year.

 

 

Ponte Lake and the Tramazzo Giants

Part of the municipality of Tredozio is in the National Park of Foreste Casentinesi, Monte Falterona and Campigna. Inside the park is Lake Ponte, a body of water that was created artificially in 1962 but which is now perfectly integrated into the natural landscape. The area in which it is located is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful and natural in the Park and is also marked by numerous hiking trails. Near the lake is the Casa Ponte refuge.
A short distance away you can visit the beech forest with monumental trees, the so-called “Giganti del Tramazzo” (Tramazzo Giants).

The Mount Busca volcano (also known as the smallest volcano in the world)
In reality, it is a phenomenon known as a ‘burning fountain’ resulting from the exhalation of gaseous hydrocarbons that spontaneously ignite on contact with air. In the case of Tredozio, the gas escaping from the earth is methane.
This phenomenon is widespread, especially in the Middle East.
Local legend has it that Dante Alighieri was inspired by the volcanic rock of Monte Busca for some parts of the Inferno.
One of the first references to the “volcano” is in the mid-16th century book Descrittione di tutto Italia (Description of the whole of Italy) by the Bolognese Dominican friar Leandro Alberti.
In the 1930s, it became the property of the Società Idrocarburi Metano, which in 1939 built a pipeline and a building to exploit the methane but, shortly after, the project was deemed unsatisfactory from an economic perspective. However, the gas continued to flow and the flame remained active.

Palazzo Fantini
The Fantini family records show that on 3 May 1753, the foundations and corners of the façade were blessed and the first stone was laid. The façade of the palace is in Tuscan Baroque style, with a balcony and the family coat of arms on it — a cockerel passing by, pecking, and moving around in a field.
In addition to the 18th-century parts, the palace retains interesting neo-Gothic and Art Nouveau features.
Inside, a small museum of rural civilisation has been created, divided into thematic areas. But above all, from April to October, it is possible to visit (by appointment) the beautiful garden of the residence, which is part of the Grandi Giardini Italiani association (the network of most beautiful gardens in Italy).

 
Former Monastery of Santissima Annunziata
An ancient building, formerly a watchtower in Roman times, it became a place of worship around the year 1000.
In 1563, 14 Dominican nuns moved there from the monastery of the Luogo d’Africa until 1810, when Napoleon suppressed the monastic orders.
It then became the private home of the Fabroni (or Fabbroni) family. In 1851, the poetess Maria Virginia was born here, whose reputation soon reached the borders of the new unified Italy. The sweetness of her verses is counterbalanced by a strong personality, quick to boldly assert the right of women to autonomy of thought. Her challenges concerning the 19th-century respectability of arranged marriages and the indisputability of paternal authority make her an incredibly interesting character. For this reason, the municipality of Tredozio named a poetry award after her, which over time has become a national reference point.

The Castellaccio
The remains of the the Castrum Treudacium are located on a hilltop just a few minutes from the town centre. The first document testifying to the existence of the castle, owned by the Counts of Guidi, dates from 925. During its heyday, the medieval building had a majestic appearance with solid lime and stone walls in an octagonal shape. Within the fortified area were a 17-metre high tower, the church of Santa Maria Maddalena and the Count’s house. Unfortunately, by the 19th century, the castle had already been reduced to ruins and very little of it remains today: the foundations, a few underground rooms and a portion of the wall still standing, with a slit. But the place where the remains are located is very attractive from both an archaeological and a scenic point of view.

 

Explore all the ways of Dante...